Marriage - General

1. What is to be done when one Catholic party comes to a diocese in India from abroad without bringing any papers and wants to marry a Catholic in India?

Unless the party from abroad brings a letter of free state, and an authorisation from his/her parish priest or pastor giving permission for the parish priest of the diocese in India to prepare the papers and conduct the marriage, such a request should not be entertained.

2. If two non-baptised persons who are validly married want to embrace the faith, is it necessary to renew their consent after their conversion?

No. If their marriage was valid and both parties embraced the Catholic faith, their marriage automatically becomes a sacramental marriage. (It is advisable in such cases to put a note in the remarks' column of the Baptism Register that the parties were validly married before their conversion.)

3. Can a non-catholic be a witness for a marriage?

Yes. A non-catholic can be a witness to a Catholic marriage.


Recent Posts

See All

Marriages - Mixed / Disparity

1. What is the difference between a mixed marriage and a disparity of cult marriage? A Mixed Marriage, which is also known as a Mixed Religion marriage is, in the strict sense, one that is contracted

Marriage - Banns

1. Where are banns to be published and how many? Banns are to be published in the place where the parties have their domicile or quasi-domicile. In places where the parties concerned have lost their


With regard to addressing grievances against priests in their respective parishes, what is the procedure that is followed in the Archdiocese of Bombay? Every parish is like a family. As in every famil


21, Nathalal Parekh Marg,
Mumbai 400 001

Tel: 022 2202 1093 | 022 22021193 | 022 22021293

Email: diocesebombay@gmail.com

Monday to Friday : 09:00 am to 01:00 pm

03:00 pm to 05:00 pm

Saturday : 09:00 am to 01:00 pm

Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.

Download OUR APP
Google play.png
Apple store.png
© 2020 Official Website of the Archdiocese of Bombay